Sports tourism generates millions
At the City Informational Meeting on Tuesday, Thomas Lee, Executive Director of the Sioux Falls Sports Authority (SFSA), gave a presentation on his organization and the impact sports tourism in our community.
The Sioux Falls Sports Authority was founded in 2006 as a 501(c3) organization to bring marquee sporting events to the Sioux Falls area. The need for an organization like the SFSA was identified after community leaders realized neighboring communities were attracting these events while Sioux Falls was not.
Since its inception, SFSA has attracted the following tournaments:
- The Summit League Basketball
- DI Women’s Basketball
- DI Men’s Ice Hockey Regional (attendance: 16,007)
- DII Women’s Basketball Tournament
- DII Men’s Basketball National Championship
- DII Women’s Volleyball Championships (attendance: 1,963)
- DII Wrestling Championships (attendance: 9,235)
In addition, the SFSA also facilitates the Sioux Falls Marathon every single year.
Amongst other marquee events, the SFSA is currently working on developing smaller events such as:
- A boxing event
- A First Friday 5K
Overall, sport tourism in Sioux Falls is big business as it generates more than $17 million and growing each year.